September 26, 2011

True identities

Leyna went back to school for the first time in a week today. It was obvious that it had been awhile because it was like the first day again. She really didn't want me to go and it was hard to do it. She doesn't make a scene at all, just quietly pleads with her eyes and outstretched hand :( When I picked her up her teachers said she was extremely quiet and mellow today. And the louder the class got the more quiet she got. It's so the opposite of how she is at home which is is EXACTLY how I am. My little mini-me. Quiet as a mouse until you get to know her and she gets comfortable with you. So, hopefully she will settle in soon and start showing her true self - which is totally awesome :)
The other day Leyna started counting and got up to 28, then she got stuck and I prompted her with 29 and she continued up to 38, at which time I prompted her with 39 and 40. And so on and so forth until she got all the way to 108, at which point she stopped abruptly and said: "108. I bet that's how old God is." And then she moved on to the next subject like it was nothing. I guess she just had to get that figured out!
Oh, and I can't forget this lovely tidbit. Animal activists and vegetarians please skip this segment and move on to the next. I was cutting up chicken for the Wing Off on Saturday and Leyna asked me where I got the chicken. I told her at the store and she said, "Oh, I know how they make chicken. Someone just brought them to the store, plucked off their noses, poked out their eyes, cooked them up and they were all chickeny and they put them in a box." Ok, that was enough to make me not want to eat chicken again for awhile! LOL
Cora's thing these days is pretending she is someone else. It's usually either Little Bear (from the show with the same name), Blue (from Blue's Clues), Vidia (from Tinkerbell), or Baby Brielle (our 4-month-old neighbor). And if she is someone else, we are ALL someone else. I have to be Mother Bear, or Steve from Blue's Clues, or she calls me Allie (Brielle's mom) all day. Leyna is Sister Bear and Andy is Father Bear. Leyna is Magenta from Blue's Clues or Rosetta from Tinkerbell. And Andy is even called Shaun (Brielle's dad). Yesterday morning she literally woke up, sat up in her bed, and I said "Good morning Cora," and she said "I'm Little Bear." First words out of her mouth for the day. She cracks me up! The girl knows how to stay in character!

No comments: